Properties of X-Rays and Gamma Rays.
- They are not detected by human senses (cannot be seen, heard, felt, etc.).
- They travel in straight lines at the speed of light.
- Their paths cannot be changed by electrical or magnetic fields.
- They can be diffracted to a small degree at interfaces between two different materials.
- They pass through matter until they have a chance encounter with an atomic particle.
- Their degree of penetration depends on their energy and the matter they are traveling through.
- They have enough energy to ionize matter and can damage or destroy living cells.